Scientists from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) are raking in the royalties. But the over $325 million tally is raising concerns. Where’s the money coming from, and what’s it paying for?
President Joe Biden’s long-awaited ban on U.S. investment in China meeting with mixed reactions. Some are applauding it as a “major blow” to Beijing, while others are calling the move “almost laughable.”
Half a million in U.S. tax dollars are reportedly flowing into an illegal Chinese biolab. Public records highlighted the transaction into the California-based facility.
How dependent is China on imports from the United States and its allies? New research puts the figure at a whopping 70 percent. Could those import needs be the key to countering China’s economic pressure? An expert weighs in.
Topics in this episode:
- Over $325M Paid in Royalties to NIH Scientists from China, Russia Pharma Firms: Report
- Mixed Reactions Over Biden’s China Tech Curbs
- China Depends on U.S. for Essential Products: Data
- $500K+ U.S. Tax Dollars Funding Illegal Chinese Lab
- China’s Largest Immigrants Service Raided by Police
- Zoom Using Data to Train AI, Privacy Concerns Rise
- Siemens Earnings Disappoint as China Recovery Slows
- ‘Most People Don’t Realize How Marginalized We Are’: Zhou on Beijing’s Funding of Chinese Dept. in U.S.
China in Focus Weekly Newsletter
Find out what’s really going on in China
Success! You are now subscribed.